If a patient desires sexy, more voluptuous lips, it can be achieved through lip augmentation surgery. This surgery involves placing lip implants in either the upper, lower or both lips for a fuller mouth. While this method is permanent, it will still result in a natural look and feel. For patients who don’t want lip implants but still want a full, pouty mouth, Seattle area plastic surgeon, Dr. Marosan, recommends any number of fillers. These fillers are temporary but effectively fill out thin lips for beautiful, natural-looking results. Dr. Marosan prefers Juvéderm and Juvéderm Plus for lip enhancement.
Lip Enhancement Options
- Silicone Implants: Lip enhancement using implants places a solid implant according to preferred size and shape that will increase volume in the lips. The result will look and feel natural, especially after several months when the implant is settled in its position. This is a permanent enhancement that can also be removed if the patient desires. The majority of surgeons use two implant types that are available today: Advanta Lip, which uses a synthetic Gore-Tex material that offers a fuller result with a firmer feel; and PermaLip, which is a solid silicone material that offers a soft, natural result.
- AlloDerm: Another alternative to silicone is a tissue matrix that is fabricated using the dermis that is harvested and processed from cadavers. This is rendered acellular and so any rejection is very rare. As this is porous, natural tissues within the lips will be able to integrate through it further enhancing the natural appearance of the augmentation. It is inserted the same way a silicone implant is placed.
- Fat Filler: Also known as fat transfer, fat deposits are harvested from the patient’s own body by means of liposuction. These collected fats are purified and reinstated with tiny syringes into the lips. The doctor will take the extra measure of reinstating the fat tissues, slowly layering the filler to reshape the lips to meet the patient’s aesthetic desires.
- Injectable Filler: This is a popular way to enhance the lips in a nonsurgical manner. Fillers are made from substances that are found naturally within the body such the hyaluronic acid or collagen based solutions. The result is realistic and looks and feels natural. Fillers produce beautiful results, however, they are considered short-term and reinjection is advised every 6 months.
The surgical technique employed with lip augmentation depends on the type of material used.
For implants, incisions will be made on the outer corner of the mouth and the implant is inserted through a tunnel that the plastic surgeon creates. The scars are concealed as the incisions are made along the natural lip line, and the sutures are so fine that once dissolved, they are unnoticeable.
For injectable fillers, incisions are not necessary. The substance will be injected using a small, fine needle directly into the lips. During this process, the doctor manipulates the shaping of the filler by putting pressure on the lips where it is needed.
"Top level care! - Very professional and thorough. I had several consults and Dr. Marosan was by far my favorite. From the first phone call, help at the front desk, scheduling and every aspect of the appointment, the staff is the best. I will for sure be scheduling my procedure here. I have had other procedures done at another place in Seattle but felt much more cared for at Bellevue Plastic Surgeon. Excited for..."- M. / RealSelf / Oct 05, 2018
"Great Experience, Took His Time with Me! - I am considering a face lift and have been to see several doctors, I was so impressed with Dr. Marosan I have cancelled my other consultations. Very kind and very thorough. Loved the fact that he actually spent time talking to me, I did not feel rushed. all the other consultations were like 5 minutes in and out, this is the price, good bye. I will definitely use Dr. Marosan"- R. / RealSelf / Aug 09, 2018
"Beyond ecstatic with my results!!! - Doctor Marosan is a true Master of his craft! VASER Hi-Def Lipo has been something I have wanted to do for quite some time. After thoroughly researching doctors up and down the West Coast (including many in Beverly Hills) I decided that Doctor Marosan was the best doctor for the job! Two months post-op and I am so thankful I trusted him and his team. For the first time since kids I am..."- N. / RealSelf / Jul 17, 2018
"37 Yr Old Fit Mom of 3. Bellevue, WA - Dr. Marosan is the best of the best. My results are over-the-top amazing."- F. / RealSelf / Feb 13, 2016
"First off I want to say that Yelp is so ridiculous because half of the REAL customer reviews I give go into some sort of undesirable reviews and I ask WHY. So it is very likely they will throw this REAL customer review in the same place. But here I go. I had been to 2 other plastic surgeons in Bellevue until I had a consultation with DR. MAROSAN. I knew after my consultation he would be my doctor to complete my entire body makeover after loosing 90 pounds. He and his ENTIRE staff made me feel like family. I like his simple NO NONSENSE approach and non judgemental way he explains things. Other surgeons I saw before him made me feel not worthy of what I wanted to have done. After loosing 90 pounds I had skin and fat hanging everywhere I didn't want it. So I had vazer lipo on my entire torso and fat transfer to my buttocks. At 60 years old I never thought I could feel and look better than I did when I was 40. I can hardly wait until He does my breast and tummy tuck in 6 months to complete my look. I did my research to find him and I'm extremely confident in his work. He's a genius in my eyes. He gave me an hourglass figure that I've always wanted. Research means: understanding the difference between VAZER and Lazer liposuction is HUGE. Learn the difference and the qualifications that goes with that. I love the fact that you have to ring the doorbell to get into his office makes me feel secure and SAFE. So the same day I booked my surgery without any hesitation. So glad I did. This picture is only 1 week post op and I couldn't be happier. Yes...this is my new buttocks and I am 60 years old. I believe 60 is the new 40. Thank you so very much Dr. Marosan and I'll see you soon for one of my many post ops that are so important to him and myself."- B.G. / Yelp / Jul 15, 2018
Lip enhancement using an implant product will generally be performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility. It is considered outpatient and the entire process is usually concluded within an hour. Injectable fillers require no anesthesia, however, a local numbing medication is usually used. After the procedure, the lips will be swollen and there may be bruising present. This will go away after a few days and the patient will instantly see results of the treatment. It may take a few more weeks for the best results to show.
Lip Augmentation FAQs
Solid Or Liquid Fillers?
It depends. Both solid implants and injectable fillers have their advantages and disadvantages. Patients need to consider the longevity and maintenance of both options. Solid implants are permanent while injectable fillers need reinjection every 6 months. Patients may opt to see the effects a filler will have on the lips first and realize lip augmentation is not for them. The pros and cons of both can be discussed during the initial consultation.
How Real Will It Look?
Technology today is able to design implants that produce great results when it comes to providing a natural look and feel. Optimal results are achieved when implants settle and integrate with the natural tissues of the lips. It is important to find a surgeon who has the necessary skills and experience when it comes to lip enhancement treatment.
Can I Have It Removed?
Yes. Silicone implants are easier to remove than porous implants but both are removable with a secondary surgery. Liquid fillers go away naturally over time as the substance is absorbed by the body, although a minimal fraction may be retained and may take a while before fully absorbed.
Will There Be Scars?
With implants, incisions are placed along the natural lip line and the scar will be barely noticeable. Fillers inserted by injection will not have any scars at all. It is important to take extra care of the surgery wounds according to doctor’s prescriptions to avoid any infections.
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- $700 - $1,800
- Recovery Time
- Average Procedure Time
- 1 Hour
- Post-op Follow-up
- Next Day
- Procedure Recovery Location