If a patient desires sexy, more voluptuous lips, it can be achieved through lip augmentation surgery. This surgery involves placing lip implants in either the upper, lower or both lips for a fuller mouth. While this method is permanent, it will still result in a natural look and feel. For patients who don’t want lip implants but still want a full, pouty mouth, Seattle area plastic surgeon, Dr. Marosan, recommends any number of fillers. These fillers are temporary but effectively fill out thin lips for beautiful, natural-looking results. Dr. Marosan prefers Juvéderm and Juvéderm Plus for lip enhancement.
Lip Enhancement Options
- Silicone Implants: Lip enhancement using implants places a solid implant according to preferred size and shape that will increase volume in the lips. The result will look and feel natural, especially after several months when the implant is settled in its position. This is a permanent enhancement that can also be removed if the patient desires. The majority of surgeons use two implant types that are available today: Advanta Lip, which uses a synthetic Gore-Tex material that offers a fuller result with a firmer feel; and PermaLip, which is a solid silicone material that offers a soft, natural result.
- AlloDerm: Another alternative to silicone is a tissue matrix that is fabricated using the dermis that is harvested and processed from cadavers. This is rendered acellular and so any rejection is very rare. As this is porous, natural tissues within the lips will be able to integrate through it further enhancing the natural appearance of the augmentation. It is inserted the same way a silicone implant is placed.
- Fat Filler: Also known as fat transfer, fat deposits are harvested from the patient’s own body by means of liposuction. These collected fats are purified and reinstated with tiny syringes into the lips. The doctor will take the extra measure of reinstating the fat tissues, slowly layering the filler to reshape the lips to meet the patient’s aesthetic desires.
- Injectable Filler: This is a popular way to enhance the lips in a nonsurgical manner. Fillers are made from substances that are found naturally within the body such the hyaluronic acid or collagen based solutions. The result is realistic and looks and feels natural. Fillers produce beautiful results, however, they are considered short-term and reinjection is advised every 6 months.
The surgical technique employed with lip augmentation depends on the type of material used.
For implants, incisions will be made on the outer corner of the mouth and the implant is inserted through a tunnel that the plastic surgeon creates. The scars are concealed as the incisions are made along the natural lip line, and the sutures are so fine that once dissolved, they are unnoticeable.
For injectable fillers, incisions are not necessary. The substance will be injected using a small, fine needle directly into the lips. During this process, the doctor manipulates the shaping of the filler by putting pressure on the lips where it is needed.
"man of character - dr. is the most ethical reliable caring dr. you will ever find . id never consider going anywhere else. his staff are excellent and courteous."- Anonymous / Vitals / Dec 08, 2018
"Many More Procedures to Come - Ive had 2 procedures dine already with 3rd in 4 weeks. He is a genius with body sculpting and hands down the best experience Ive had from other offices in the Bellevue area. My Confidence now is so upbeat and possible. Im so thankful I found Dr. Marosan"- A. / RealSelf / Nov 01, 2018
"Best doctor ever! - I absolutely love Marosan and his staff. They made me feel comfortable as it was my first time having any type of surgery. I appreciate his truthfulness to any of the questions I had about the surgery. Marosan is truly an artist when it comes to contouring. Such a perfectionist. I’m obsessed with my results and would recommend to anybody who wants a bbl. He did high definition 360 lipo and I c..."- M. / RealSelf / Oct 29, 2018
"37 Yr Old Fit Mom of 3. Bellevue, WA - Dr. Marosan is the best of the best. My results are over-the-top amazing."- F. / RealSelf / Feb 13, 2016
"Top level care! - Very professional and thorough. I had several consults and Dr. Marosan was by far my favorite. From the first phone call, help at the front desk, scheduling and every aspect of the appointment, the staff is the best. I will for sure be scheduling my procedure here. I have had other procedures done at another place in Seattle but felt much more cared for at Bellevue Plastic Surgeon. Excited for..."- M. / RealSelf / Oct 05, 2018
Lip enhancement using an implant product will generally be performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility. It is considered outpatient and the entire process is usually concluded within an hour. Injectable fillers require no anesthesia, however, a local numbing medication is usually used. After the procedure, the lips will be swollen and there may be bruising present. This will go away after a few days and the patient will instantly see results of the treatment. It may take a few more weeks for the best results to show.
Lip Augmentation FAQs
Solid Or Liquid Fillers?
It depends. Both solid implants and injectable fillers have their advantages and disadvantages. Patients need to consider the longevity and maintenance of both options. Solid implants are permanent while injectable fillers need reinjection every 6 months. Patients may opt to see the effects a filler will have on the lips first and realize lip augmentation is not for them. The pros and cons of both can be discussed during the initial consultation.
How Real Will It Look?
Technology today is able to design implants that produce great results when it comes to providing a natural look and feel. Optimal results are achieved when implants settle and integrate with the natural tissues of the lips. It is important to find a surgeon who has the necessary skills and experience when it comes to lip enhancement treatment.
Can I Have It Removed?
Yes. Silicone implants are easier to remove than porous implants but both are removable with a secondary surgery. Liquid fillers go away naturally over time as the substance is absorbed by the body, although a minimal fraction may be retained and may take a while before fully absorbed.
Will There Be Scars?
With implants, incisions are placed along the natural lip line and the scar will be barely noticeable. Fillers inserted by injection will not have any scars at all. It is important to take extra care of the surgery wounds according to doctor’s prescriptions to avoid any infections.
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- $700 - $1,800
- Recovery Time
- Average Procedure Time
- 1 Hour
- Post-op Follow-up
- Next Day
- Procedure Recovery Location