If a patient desires sexy, more voluptuous lips, it can be achieved through lip augmentation surgery. This surgery involves placing lip implants in either the upper, lower or both lips for a fuller mouth. While this method is permanent, it will still result in a natural look and feel. For patients who don’t want lip implants but still want a full, pouty mouth, Seattle area plastic surgeon, Dr. Marosan, recommends any number of fillers. These fillers are temporary but effectively fill out thin lips for beautiful, natural-looking results. Dr. Marosan prefers Juvéderm and Juvéderm Plus for lip enhancement.
Lip Enhancement Options@headingTag>
- Silicone Implants: Lip enhancement using implants places a solid implant according to preferred size and shape that will increase volume in the lips. The result will look and feel natural, especially after several months when the implant is settled in its position. This is a permanent enhancement that can also be removed if the patient desires. The majority of surgeons use two implant types that are available today: Advanta Lip, which uses a synthetic Gore-Tex material that offers a fuller result with a firmer feel; and PermaLip, which is a solid silicone material that offers a soft, natural result.
- AlloDerm: Another alternative to silicone is a tissue matrix that is fabricated using the dermis that is harvested and processed from cadavers. This is rendered acellular and so any rejection is very rare. As this is porous, natural tissues within the lips will be able to integrate through it further enhancing the natural appearance of the augmentation. It is inserted the same way a silicone implant is placed.
- Fat Filler: Also known as fat transfer, fat deposits are harvested from the patient’s own body by means of liposuction. These collected fats are purified and reinstated with tiny syringes into the lips. The doctor will take the extra measure of reinstating the fat tissues, slowly layering the filler to reshape the lips to meet the patient’s aesthetic desires.
- Injectable Filler: This is a popular way to enhance the lips in a nonsurgical manner. Fillers are made from substances that are found naturally within the body such the hyaluronic acid or collagen based solutions. The result is realistic and looks and feels natural. Fillers produce beautiful results, however, they are considered short-term and reinjection is advised every 6 months.
The surgical technique employed with lip augmentation depends on the type of material used.
For implants, incisions will be made on the outer corner of the mouth and the implant is inserted through a tunnel that the plastic surgeon creates. The scars are concealed as the incisions are made along the natural lip line, and the sutures are so fine that once dissolved, they are unnoticeable.
For injectable fillers, incisions are not necessary. The substance will be injected using a small, fine needle directly into the lips. During this process, the doctor manipulates the shaping of the filler by putting pressure on the lips where it is needed.
"37 Yr Old Fit Mom of 3. Bellevue, WA - Dr. Marosan is the best of the best. My results are over-the-top amazing."- F. / RealSelf / Feb 13, 2016
"I am extremely happy with the treatment I received from Dr. Marosan and his staff - I saw Dr. Marosan after struggling with a condition for over 5 years. I was very self conscious, but Dr. Marosan and his terrific staff made me feel comfortable and put me completely at ease. I can not speak highly enough of these folks and would highly, highly recommend that anyone needing surgery be sure to see Dr. Marosan. The procedure went well and I am more than satisfied. They are great and I will forever be grateful for what they did for me."- H. / RealSelf / Apr 06, 2017
"Best Surgeon for Labiaplasty - I recently went to George Marosan for labiaplasty and my experience could not have been better. The staff was amazing, even called me to talk through my jitters a few days before. I had been wanting to do this for a few years and made an impromptu decision around December. I did extensive research on plastic surgeons in the Puget Sound area and after reading Dr. Marosan's reviews and meeting with him, I knew this was the surgeon I wanted to trust with such an intimate procedure. He did a superb job answering my questions, explaining the procedure and recovery and throughout it all I knew that he and his staff genuinely cared about me. One of the best decisions of my life."- S. / RealSelf / Apr 01, 2017
"Dr. Marosan has reshapes my body and given me back my confidence! Dr. Marosan and his staff are realistic and honest. Nobody is perfect and no one should expect such results but I can say my body is way better than when I first walked into his office!"- Anonymous / UCompareHealthcare / Feb 10, 2017
"Great Dr., Best Choice - Even thinking about getting plastic surgery made me extremely nervous. I did a lot of research and decided to go with Dr. Marosan. Fantastic decision. He took the time to answer every single one of my questions, called to check in with me the night after the surgery. The staff is extremely nice and genuine. I am 4 days post op and so grateful I chose him for the procedure."- N. / RealSelf / Jan 17, 2017
Lip enhancement using an implant product will generally be performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility. It is considered outpatient and the entire process is usually concluded within an hour. Injectable fillers require no anesthesia, however, a local numbing medication is usually used. After the procedure, the lips will be swollen and there may be bruising present. This will go away after a few days and the patient will instantly see results of the treatment. It may take a few more weeks for the best results to show.
Lip Augmentation FAQs@headingTag>
Solid Or Liquid Fillers?@headingTag>
It depends. Both solid implants and injectable fillers have their advantages and disadvantages. Patients need to consider the longevity and maintenance of both options. Solid implants are permanent while injectable fillers need reinjection every 6 months. Patients may opt to see the effects a filler will have on the lips first and realize lip augmentation is not for them. The pros and cons of both can be discussed during the initial consultation.
How Real Will It Look?@headingTag>
Technology today is able to design implants that produce great results when it comes to providing a natural look and feel. Optimal results are achieved when implants settle and integrate with the natural tissues of the lips. It is important to find a surgeon who has the necessary skills and experience when it comes to lip enhancement treatment.
Can I Have It Removed?@headingTag>
Yes. Silicone implants are easier to remove than porous implants but both are removable with a secondary surgery. Liquid fillers go away naturally over time as the substance is absorbed by the body, although a minimal fraction may be retained and may take a while before fully absorbed.
Will There Be Scars?@headingTag>
With implants, incisions are placed along the natural lip line and the scar will be barely noticeable. Fillers inserted by injection will not have any scars at all. It is important to take extra care of the surgery wounds according to doctor’s prescriptions to avoid any infections.
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- $700 - $1,800
- Recovery Time
- Average Procedure Time
- 1 Hour
- Post-op Follow-up
- Next Day
- Procedure Recovery Location