If a patient desires sexy, more voluptuous lips, it can be achieved through lip augmentation surgery. This surgery involves placing lip implants in either the upper, lower or both lips for a fuller mouth. While this method is permanent, it will still result in a natural look and feel. For patients who don’t want lip implants but still want a full, pouty mouth, Seattle area plastic surgeon, Dr. Marosan, recommends any number of fillers. These fillers are temporary but effectively fill out thin lips for beautiful, natural-looking results. Dr. Marosan prefers Juvéderm and Juvéderm Plus for lip enhancement.
Lip Enhancement Options
- Silicone Implants: Lip enhancement using implants places a solid implant according to preferred size and shape that will increase volume in the lips. The result will look and feel natural, especially after several months when the implant is settled in its position. This is a permanent enhancement that can also be removed if the patient desires. The majority of surgeons use two implant types that are available today: Advanta Lip, which uses a synthetic Gore-Tex material that offers a fuller result with a firmer feel; and PermaLip, which is a solid silicone material that offers a soft, natural result.
- AlloDerm: Another alternative to silicone is a tissue matrix that is fabricated using the dermis that is harvested and processed from cadavers. This is rendered acellular and so any rejection is very rare. As this is porous, natural tissues within the lips will be able to integrate through it further enhancing the natural appearance of the augmentation. It is inserted the same way a silicone implant is placed.
- Fat Filler: Also known as fat transfer, fat deposits are harvested from the patient’s own body by means of liposuction. These collected fats are purified and reinstated with tiny syringes into the lips. The doctor will take the extra measure of reinstating the fat tissues, slowly layering the filler to reshape the lips to meet the patient’s aesthetic desires.
- Injectable Filler: This is a popular way to enhance the lips in a nonsurgical manner. Fillers are made from substances that are found naturally within the body such the hyaluronic acid or collagen based solutions. The result is realistic and looks and feels natural. Fillers produce beautiful results, however, they are considered short-term and reinjection is advised every 6 months.
The surgical technique employed with lip augmentation depends on the type of material used.
For implants, incisions will be made on the outer corner of the mouth and the implant is inserted through a tunnel that the plastic surgeon creates. The scars are concealed as the incisions are made along the natural lip line, and the sutures are so fine that once dissolved, they are unnoticeable.
For injectable fillers, incisions are not necessary. The substance will be injected using a small, fine needle directly into the lips. During this process, the doctor manipulates the shaping of the filler by putting pressure on the lips where it is needed.
"Tummy Tuck, Brazilian Butt Lift and Lipo by Dr. Marosan - It’s been over 4 months since my triple-surgery. I’ve been enjoying tight little dresses, leggings, bikinis and short skirts like a teenager! Dr Marosan did a great job and I recommend him and his team to those who are considering cosmetic surgery. I would send my family to him. It took me 9 years of hesitation and mistrust interviewing various physicians before I finally met Dr. Marosan and moved forward with the surgery! The primary reason I chose Dr. Marosan over other physicians was that he places his tummy tuck incisions low. No other doctor gave me that option. My scar is WAY below the bikini line and is touching my pubic zone. Other moms that I know who had it done have their scars higher than mine. Also, Tummy Tuck is a major surgery. You want to make sure you are in good hands. Dr. Marosan and his team did an excellent job taking care of me. I received courtesy from the day one and support and compassion throughout the recovery -- emails, courtesy phone calls, multitude post-op visits. Dani, Lauri, Sarah and Dr. George were super nice. I’m very pleased with the overall service that I’ve received!"- T. / RealSelf / Feb 19, 2020
"The Best High-def Liposuction Expert in the Seattle Area - Dr. Marosan provided me with an excellent abdomen, love handles, back. He's an absolute expert and understand body conturing, natural anatomy, scar management and placement. My results are natural, slim, cut (but not too much, naturally cut) and I am very pleased with his attention to details and expertise. His staff is extremely attentive and capable. I apologize that I am unable ti share images. My privacy is important."- T. / RealSelf / Dec 02, 2019
"I love this Doctor and his Team. 5 star. Highly Recommended. I have had three different procedures done. Dr. Marosan is not only the best in body procedures but facial surgeries as well. It's my third year and i kept coming back. Their price is competitive and better compared to others of the same field. The location is great free parking lots of parking. High-end clinic. I enjoyed my surgery from beginning to end. Most importantly, i enjoyed the results which is more important to me than anything. He delivers. Such a talented and artistic doctor. I have been telling everyone. I am very grateful. I am so lucky i found this doctor and his team took really good care of me from beginning to end. Highly recommended."- S.I. / Yelp / Aug 26, 2019
"37 Yr Old Fit Mom of 3. Bellevue, WA - Dr. Marosan is the best of the best. My results are over-the-top amazing."- F. / RealSelf / Feb 13, 2016
"Bullhorn lip lift/subnasal lip lift - I definitely look younger! - 5 star review for Dr.Marosan and his team! My expectation is low and realistic but the result is unbelievably astonishing. Not only it exceeded my expectation, it also has given me this satisfaction that only a very talented artistic doctor can provide. I mean the bang for your buck. I feel really lucky to have found this doctor. This is my third year going to Dr. Marosan. I have been coming back every year Lol. I thought he is only great with body procedures. He is very talented and artistic with my face. He sees what i am envisioning and then gave me a surprise Lol He gives more than expected maybe as long as we are realistic and logical. I am not saying he is a magician. Sorry this is getting too long i am just very appreciative of how subtle procedure can make an outstanding difference in ones appearance. I definitely look younger! I feel younger than my age to be honest so now i look exactly how i feel. Thank you Dr. Marosan!"- A. / RealSelf / Aug 18, 2019
Lip enhancement using an implant product will generally be performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility. It is considered outpatient and the entire process is usually concluded within an hour. Injectable fillers require no anesthesia, however, a local numbing medication is usually used. After the procedure, the lips will be swollen and there may be bruising present. This will go away after a few days and the patient will instantly see results of the treatment. It may take a few more weeks for the best results to show.
Lip Augmentation FAQs
Solid Or Liquid Fillers?
It depends. Both solid implants and injectable fillers have their advantages and disadvantages. Patients need to consider the longevity and maintenance of both options. Solid implants are permanent while injectable fillers need reinjection every 6 months. Patients may opt to see the effects a filler will have on the lips first and realize lip augmentation is not for them. The pros and cons of both can be discussed during the initial consultation.
How Real Will It Look?
Technology today is able to design implants that produce great results when it comes to providing a natural look and feel. Optimal results are achieved when implants settle and integrate with the natural tissues of the lips. It is important to find a surgeon who has the necessary skills and experience when it comes to lip enhancement treatment.
Can I Have It Removed?
Yes. Silicone implants are easier to remove than porous implants but both are removable with a secondary surgery. Liquid fillers go away naturally over time as the substance is absorbed by the body, although a minimal fraction may be retained and may take a while before fully absorbed.
Will There Be Scars?
With implants, incisions are placed along the natural lip line and the scar will be barely noticeable. Fillers inserted by injection will not have any scars at all. It is important to take extra care of the surgery wounds according to doctor’s prescriptions to avoid any infections.
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- $700 - $1,800
- Recovery Time
- Average Procedure Time
- 1 Hour
- Post-op Follow-up
- Next Day
- Procedure Recovery Location